How to Stay Productive When You're Not Motivated
Do you remember the last time when you had a mile-long to-do-list, but all that you were doing was watching your favorite TV series? Don’t worry it happens to all of us from time to time. Why? There are two main reasons:
- We get burnt out. When you have a lot of activities going on – like launching a new product, writing a book, doing family chores, as well as other life obligations, at some point, your brain says you need to stop. Why? Because you have taken on too much.
- We are afraid of the task. There may be some things on the list that we’re just afraid to do. These things tend to be pushed further and further to never be completed.
Can you get out of these situations? Sure!
What to do when you get burned out?
- Declutter your time. The ability to say “no” will be very helpful. Understand that when you’re saying “yes” to something, you’re saying “no” to other things. Now look at your tasks. Is it a list that you really feel like doing or it has lots of these “yes” tasks, which you would rather now say “no” to?
- Focus on the main goals and allow yourself to de-stress. Doers and achievers are trying to be very productive and fill all their time with different tasks that can bring them closer to their goals. The good advice it to focus on the top 3 most important tasks every day and don’t try to do everything at once. If you’re tired just take rest. Don’t force yourself, or you will have to deal with consequences.
- Get enough sleep. You can’t compromise your sleep to get more time. It will backfire. Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep daily.
What to do when you’re afraid of your task?
- Get it done first. If you start with the hardest task, you won’t spend the whole day dreading it. In addition to that ,completing the harder task first gives you a sense of accomplishment, which energizes you to complete other tasks.
- Set a timer. Stay focused for 30 minutes without any distractions and then take a 5 minute break.
- Reward yourself. Piece of chocolate or a funny Youtube video. What do you like?